Once you have been trained with one child, you will be very much in demand by other families seeking BIs. There is no shortage of hours of work.

BIs can become lead BI, where they take more responsibility for overseeing the team and work closely with the parent and consultant. Pay for this can range from $12 – $20 per hour depending on experience.

After gaining 1000 hours or more on a home based team, BIs can take courses to become qualified to work in the schools with ABA children. This can pay $25 per hour with benefits. Qualifications vary from district to district. Some districts will hire someone who has only the 1000 hours and no course work. Other districts require SETA (Special Education Teaching Assistant) training before they will hire you. In Surrey, you can be hired with 1000 hours under a qualified consultant, but you must commit to taking the Surrey College ABA Support Worker course. Often, parents looking for someone to work with their child in the school system will advertise on FEAT of BC or the other resources listed above.

BIs with a Bachelor degree in Psychology or a related field may find work in Government supported ABA homes for older children or adults with ASD. The pay for working in these homes is similar to the pay for working in the school system.

Behavior Interventionists (“BI’s”, also called therapists or tutors) who earn a Bachelor degree, can also train to become an ABA consultant. Consultants start at $80 per hour. Usually, consultants have a Masters degree in Psychology or Special Education where they have completed course work for BCBA status. Equally as important, they have been supervised by another well trained consultant for at least a year. If you decide to become a consultant, it is important you work under someone with a degree specializing in ABA, or someone who has had extensive training by someone with a degree in ABA. The better your supervision, the more in demand you will be. See Questions for Interviewing consultants and ABA consumer guidelines for more information on how to make sure you are with a quality consultant.